Monday, May 29, 2006

Language Log-the book

Language Log is one of those must-read sites for anyone interested in language and usage, even though copy editors and the linguistic proprietors of LL have had their run-ins over the years.

So in the ecumenical spirit, I point out that there now is Language Log-the book: "Far from the Madding Gerund and Other Dispatches from Language Log."

I haven't read it yet, but if the one review on Amazon praises it, and if it holds up to the lively banter Mark Liberman and Geoffrey Pullum produce on Language Log, it should be a good read.

2 Comments:

At 5/30/06, 9:39 PM, Blogger fev said...

I'd put the Madding Gerund in the run-don't-walk-to-your-newsagent category. It's probably the first time I've bought a book for fun in two years, and it's primo, cover to cover.

I do sometimes wish the authors were a bit better versed in the ins and outs of how daily journalism works. But they seem to take pretty seriously the idea that scholars ought to be able to explain their scholarship to the average lay idiot (me, for example), and they have an awfully good time in the bargain.

 
At 5/31/06, 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the middle of it right now, and it's fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home