Tuesday, June 12, 2007

McIntyre - Why they hate us

Catching up on back reading (my permanent state of being), and came across John McIntyre's post "Why they hate us," the "they" "us" being copy editors.

McIntyre refers to the influential essay by Jaques Barzun, "Behind the Blue Pencil" (1985). (Generally available only from subscription databases).

Another useful one is Thomas Sowell's "Some thoughts about writing." Cut through the usual egotistical baggage of any writer (present company included) and read the section on editing. (Besides, his comments on his brief stint editing academic writing will make you smile.)

By the way, McIntyre's blog has moved to
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/mcintyre/blog/
Why the more complicated address, I have no idea. But your humble correspondent apologizes for not updating things sooner.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/13/07, 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think it should be "the 'us' being copy editors." The "they" would be the reporters.

I'm sorry; don't hate me.

 
At 6/13/07, 11:59 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Brian:

Thanks for the outpoint. Proves again why
a) I need an editor
b) I should not post before several large cups of coffee have entered my system.

D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home