Sunday, April 20, 2008

More on ACES

Andrew Knapp, copy editor at Florida Today and proprietor of the Offlede blog, has some good observations on the recent ACES conference:
  • The opening session, a bit of a downer
  • Smokin' ACES: Newspapers must get dumb to make us smart
  • Smokin' ACES: Know-it-all copy editors ask, 'What's RSS?' -- on one of the sessions I did. Knapp thinks I was held back from delving further into social media by some dumb basic questions. I didn't think so feel held back, but then again I was in the middle of it. My feeling is that no question is dumb too basic these days, but Knapp's post does highlight nicely the gap -- chasm? -- between old-line journalists who are seeing their world upended and struggling to deal with it and the generation of digital natives. I was just trying to give a smorgasbord of sites to help editors plug in, but Knapp provokes a good thought -- that next year we might need to jump into this further with some case studies (as we kind of did the next day with the session on moderating online communities). (Minor clarification on his post -- I did mention how Twitter was being used to deliver news. My example was the Mexico earthquake, though admittedly that was not an organized , coordinated use has has been done on the campaign trail.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4/21/08, 4:08 AM, Blogger Andrew Knapp said...

Sorry, Doug. I missed that part about the earthquake. I've made a strikethrough correction.

I don't think I wrote that you were asked dumb questions, only that I thought they were very basic questions. I try to avoid directly calling people dumb whenever I can (though I do it indirectly whenever possible).

My point was that it doesn't take too much effort to get a better grasp on these concepts than many of the people seemed to have.

I enjoy your blog, by the way.

 
At 4/21/08, 9:25 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying. I, too, have made some corrections to reflect your take on it. Thanks, and thanks for the kind words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home