Thursday, July 02, 2009

New internships for a new generation

Bet these job requirements weren't in the job or internship you originally applied for:

- At least 150 followers on Twitter
- At least 200 Facebook friends
- Administrator or creator of at least one Facebook group
- A blog with a Google Page Rank of 2 or higher


But they are the requirements for a social media intern at the Phnom Penh Post. The entire description and details are on thomascrampton.com.

He's got a similar skills set up for an Asian internship with Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide.

So, how many journalism/communications schools are teaching these kinds of skills?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/2/09, 2:26 PM, Blogger Jess said...

How is having facebook friends a SKILL? And, oh, hey, does that facebook group I made when I was 19 about how much I enjoyed the game show Lingo count? Really? I think not.

Maybe the new privacy filters (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/business/02facebook.html?ref=media) facebook is unveiling will be a good solution to this, because I find it completely irritating, unrealistic and intrusive for an employer to expect me to use my personal online persona, if you will, for work.

With twitter, a work account can be set up, so that's a navigable situation. But in no way would I be comfortable leveraging my personal friendships as a leg up for a job. It's ridiculous.

 
At 7/2/09, 3:03 PM, Blogger Doug said...

I don't read this so much as leveraging your friends as showing that you know how to navigate the territory. In that way, I suppose, it could be considered a skill.

 
At 7/2/09, 4:23 PM, Blogger Tajiana said...

Very interesting. I am also skeptical about how important it is to be a group manager for Facebook. No one needs a college education to create a Facebook or Myspace account. In fact, many of the most popular videos on YouTube are uploaded by poeple who are not purshing a communications degree. The question should really be the person's savvy with the Web, their eagerness to learn, etc. Plus, PR is still trying to figure out how to measure the value of social media. This internship opportunity will be of great value if the company spends time teaching them how to measure the value of the social media campaigns they are executing otherwise it is wasted "talent."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home