AEJMC09: Surprise (not) Comm graduates face tough year
Read 'em and weep:
The figures aren't due to be released at the AEJMC conference for 10 more minutes, but details of the annual survey of mass comm grads is out on Journalism.org.
A few highlights:
- lowest employment level for grads in 23 years of survey.
- 40% unable to find full-time jobs in field
- Benefits down, salaries stagnant
- “By almost all indications, the 2008 graduates of the nation’s journalism and mass communications programs found themselves in a disastrous job market.”
- Even Web employment down.
- Lower levels of job satisfaction, higher levels of regret over career choice.