Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why I'm ditching most LinkedIn groups

LinkedIn used to be a great place to get good information from various interest groups.

Increasingly, that's not so. It's being overrun by spam from recruiters, many of them dubious, and LinkedIn doesn't seem to do anything about it.

Part of the problem is that a lot of closed groups have now become open. But it means my email gets bombarded with useless stuff either daily or weekly, depending on the settings I have for each group.

For a while, I've stayed with some groups hoping I could tease out the useful stuff, but the signal to noise ratio is getting out of hand.

LinkedIn needs to think about this or it risks losing a serious part of its usefulness.

Here's an illustration of what I mean:


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8/2/12, 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doug
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Sadly I feel it's now being stalked by recruiters here in the UK too, just as they are doing with Facebook.
However, alternative options worth investigating are Viadeo and Ecademy.
Enjoying your blogs.

 
At 8/3/12, 10:09 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Yes, I want to look into those, thanks. But it's sad because some LI groups were so useful before they were overrun,

 
At 8/15/12, 10:38 PM, Blogger The Journalism & Writing World said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have ditched LinkedIn for the same reasons! Hope everything is well with you. I sure miss school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home