'Watch the people, not the rats'
The Florida Press Club graciously invited me this year to reflect on the status of journalism as the keynote speaker at its annual meeting in Orlando.
My conclusion: It may seem bleak at times, but it need not be if we do some basic things:
- Ask forcefully what our journalism is worth.
- Understand rapid relevance.
- Bet on the jockey, not the horse
- Watch the people, not the rats
- Take heart in Sumner Redstone's observation that "in the 21st century, large is no longer in charge."