Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Couric, network news and reality

The best commentary I've seen so far on the all-Katie-all-the-time freak show that has marked the press coverage up to and including last night's Couric debut on the "CBS Evening News" comes from Nancy Nall, with whom I share Fort Wayne news roots. To wit:

Really, though, do you watch network news? How often do you have the magic combination of time and opportunity to sit down and get your news the way Walter Cronkite used to deliver it? For me, the answer is “pretty much never.” I don’t keep a TV in my kitchen, which is where I usually am at 6:30, but I do have a radio there, and have NPR on at that hour. If any glowing screen comes into my kitchen, it’s my laptop, and I guaran-damn-tee you it’s not running network-news video broadband.

I don’t know about you, but I suspect I’m fairly typical. Others are still commuting home from work, having an end-of-day run/yoga session, mixing cocktails or doing anything other than sitting in one place and allowing a handful of network producers to select their day’s information.

So, that said, is there anything that marks newspapers as network news’ dance partner in the fading sunset of a general-interest media universe more than the obsessive attention paid to this titanic non-story? I’m saying…no.

And the Photoshop diet? This just in: Marketing departments preparing photos of marketable celebrities frequently apply digital-retouching techniques to make sure they look as good as possible. Stop the goddamn presses.

See Broadcast history lite.

2 Comments:

At 9/6/06, 6:27 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Welcome aboard and thanks for reading!

As a community journalist, you might also find several things interesting in the most recent Convergence Newsletter, which concentrates on community journalism and the Web.
http://www.jour.sc.edu/news/convergence/v4no3.html
Doug

 
At 9/7/06, 1:11 PM, Blogger Andy Bechtel said...

I asked my students (two sections of editing, one of news writing) whether they watched Couric's debut. Of 55 students, one did. That's not a good sign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home