Sunday, March 04, 2007

Back to the future

While I was catching up, I missed the Orlando Sentinel's big announcement, that it was bringing in 15 Web/journalism types early in the morning as its "A.M. Team" to update the Web site with overnight happenings.

Great. And apparently the page views have shown it. The Southern Newspaper Publishers Association, following up a couple of weeks later, said page views some days (tornadoes and the astronaut murder conspiracy stories) reached near or above 2 million.

But amid the fanfare, tell me again: How is this different from opening up a PM newspaper office or an AP bureau at 4:30 a.m.? My how quickly we forget ...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3/4/07, 9:05 PM, Blogger Gary Karr said...

I miss the PM cycle -- and I worked on a PM newspaper in the mid-1980s -- but the copy I turned in to editors at the Charleston (W.Va.) Daily Mail at 9 a.m. didn't get seen by real folks until 4 p.m. or so. I think that's the difference. :-)

Work hours-wise, I'd rather work the PM shift anyway.

 
At 3/7/07, 8:33 AM, Blogger SGuilfoyle said...

I've been thinking about a "PM" paper idea for dailies. When you wake up, why read the paper when it has all the stuff you saw on TV or the Internet before you want to bed? The International, national news. I fully expected to see Scooter Libby as the dominant story in my local daily this morning and was shocked that they had two local stories up top.
If they aren't going local, then I think a PM might work out better for dailies. Have fresh news waiting for peoplw when they get home, when they've been out at work and too busy to browse.
The Aiken Standard is doing an electronic PM edition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home