Saturday, May 03, 2008

Catching up

So much to write about, so little time, especially at the end of classes, with grading, etc.

I've kind of gone to ground lately because I know if I start posting I'll get far behind (also knee-deep in a research project). So aplologies. But let me point you to one recent clip from HBO's "Costas Now." It pretty well encapsulates the blog/anti-blog, generational, philosophical -- pick your term -- schism we see.

This was the appearance of Deadspin's Will Leitch and blog opponent Buzz Bissinger (with Cleveland receiver Braylon Edwards thrown in for an athlete's commentary) on Costas' program.

Lots of heat; some light. Mostly mud wrestling.

I kind of like one of the comments that followed:
This isn't just "Bissinger vs. Leitch". This is "Bissinger vs. Leitch, Deadspin, blogs, wireless internet, PDAs, synthetic motor oil, the space shuttle program, electric typewriters, the four-slot toaster, automatic transmission, and the rise of pharmaceuticals".

Too often, in the midst of some valid criticisms of some of the excesses, this is how I fear we come off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home