Thursday, June 05, 2008

Howard Owens looks for wired young journalists

And is mighty disappointed with what he sees in the print finalists of the SPJ's national Mark of Excellence awards.

UPDATE
Howard's blog is back on line. He has updated his post, including some corrections, as well as comments that supply more information. So I am deleting it here and urge you to go there to check out the updated information.

But his lament still holds -- too many young journalists don't have the kind of online savvy that newsrooms need or, if they are online, they've managed to keep themselves invisible.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/5/08, 10:23 PM, Blogger Howard Owens said...

I don't mind ... but there was at least one mistake in my post ... and two other students have sent me complaints, which I haven't been able to deal with ... when I've recovered from the hack (word press sucks), I'l l have an update.

 
At 6/9/08, 11:26 AM, Blogger Andy Bechtel said...

In my experience, students think that blogs are for Old People. (Same with Twitter.) It's all about Facebook, although some tell me that they are tired of that too.

That said, the same students understand that blogging and other ways to communicate news will be a part of their jobs and internships.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home