Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Live video of Tropical Storm from Fla. Today

Florida Today is broadcasting live through Mogulus as its crews drive around town in Tropical Storm Fay.

http://www.mogulus.com/pageone

A noble effort, but I have to agree with Chuck Fadley of "newspaper video" - the Yahoo news group - that while fascinating it probably is also evidence of why papers need to think this through a bit better. Too many times one mobile unit cuts off another and there's a bit much inane chatter (I like real -- I don't need that much real, though the sound of something crashing ("that was probably a camera") in one of the vehicles as it made a U-turn was pretty funny.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8/20/08, 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's been awesome and the "rawness" has been the best part! Enough slick hair-doo, tv-like, reporting already... This is as close to reporting the truth in real time as I can imagine.

 
At 8/20/08, 6:27 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Well, there's raw and then there's annoying.

I found too many times that I was getting into what one of the units was saying and showing when it just abruptly shifted to another, often wiping the first out in mid-sentence. At other times, the commentary was, well, inane when simply being quiet would have been more effective.

So I find myself giving Fla Today kudos for trying it but on the other reminding folks that even "raw" has some production values, small as they may be.

 
At 8/21/08, 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am watching today and can't imagine anyone being too critical of a newspaper that may be changing the face of online journalism, as we watch. If it is this good first time out, i can only imagine how it might look with additional practice. The local tv station is using live shots from this newspaper site, as is at least one national cable channel. Seems good enough for them too.

 
At 8/21/08, 1:19 PM, Blogger Doug said...

I've been watching today and they do seem to have made some adjustments.

I don't think I was too critical. I pointed out that they needed to be attendant to some things. They appear to have been. That would be the point of feedback :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home