Monday, May 23, 2011

Google announces chromebook

(In recovering some earlier posts that had not been published, this one inexplicably moved to the top. It is an older post of about a week ago.)
 
Google has just announced the chromebook - not so much a computer as a cloud portal in a laptop box running Chrome.

Its big selling points:
  • Almost instant startup
  • No real internal programs
  • Everything on the cloud
  • Automatic background updates
From Google's promo site: Thanks to the power of HTML5, many apps keep working even in those rare moments when you're not connected.

Color me cautious right now - if only because in a few weeks I am headed to a place - for more than a "rare moment" - where I will NOT have high speed access (yes, such places do still exist, even here in the good old U-S-of-A). It's another decade, I think, before we get affordable, ubiquitous high speed access.

Yet, I can definitely see a place for this on, say, a college campus, where usage and access are concentrated. Can we see a day where these become standard issue to students?

Put this in a tablet, and I might like it even better.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5/16/11, 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated comment, but I think I saw you at Jason's Deli yesterday no?

 
At 5/16/11, 8:22 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Yes, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home